This paper is a dance critique. You will attend or watch a live performance of a
Performance (streaming is fine) and then write the critique – follow directions below.
Writing a Dance Critique
Like a ballet
Critique: an exercise involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation
Watch, listen, and experience the performance with an open mind. Do not view the dance as if it were a movie; you must involve yourself and be an active participant.
Do a little research. While a critique is not a term paper, having some background knowledge can help you put the work in context. Possible items to look up are the choreographer, the dance, the composer, the dance company, and the principal dancer(s).
Places to look for information:
International Encyclopedia of the Dance
New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians
Dance in Video
International Dictionary of Ballet
International Dictionary of Modern Dance
Oxford Dictionary of Dance
You may want to look in these informational sources about the choreographer, the particular dance, performances, or the company.
Academic Search Premier & Master FILE Premier: great magazine coverage
ProQuest Newsstand: includes New York Times, Village Voice and others
Get ready to write the critique. The following prompts may help you to write your critique:
• What movements did you observe?
• What body actions did the dancers perform?
• Which parts of the body were emphasized?
• Were the dancers crawling, leaping, slithering, jumping, spinning, etc.?
• Was the dance sharp or sluggish? Deliberate or explosive?
• What forms did the dancers’ bodies employ? You can relate these to letters.
• What was the structure of the dance?
• How did the dancers relate to each other?
• Were the dancers alone (solo), in pairs (duet), in groups (trio = 3; quartet = 4, etc.)?
• Was there repeated movement? What was it?
• Was the dance a narrative (did it tell a story)?
• Was the dance abstract (without form or story)?
• Did the work have a clear beginning, middle, and end?
• How did the dancers move through space?
• Where did the movement occur?
• Were the dancers more related to the floor or the ceiling?
• What were the technical and expressive abilities of the dancers?
• What made a particular performer stand out?
• Were the dancers focused and energetic?
• Was the music fast or slow?
• Was the music more rhythmic or lyrical?
• Did the music evoke a specific emotional response?
• Were the costumes appropriate for the dance?
• Did the lighting focus attention or distract?
• Were there sets? Did they add to the performance?
• Was the absence of costumes or sets meaningful?
• Did the dance remind you of anything?
• Did the dance make you happy or sad? Why?
• What did the dance communicate to you?
• What stood out the most?
• Can you make any connections between the performance and what you’ve learned?
• What impression did the dance make?
• What did you learn about dance from this performance?
• Did the performance create any questions for you?
Write the critique. Remember, when you voice an opinion, it must be backed up with actual experiences. In other words, you can’t say “the dance was very emotionally moving”; you can say “the slow, deliberate movements of the dancers expressed deep pain and grief”. Describe, don’t tell!
Reread, edit, proofread, read aloud, have someone else read your critique, and take it to the writing center.
Remember to italicize the name of a dance just as you would the title of a book. Example: Giselle
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, our Acme Homework has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At Essay USA, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Essay USA has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Essay USA, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.